Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"There are six more Angels in Heaven"









Yesterday on Martin Luther King's birthday, I brought my grandchildren, ages 9 and 11for a visit to one of the four ever-growing shrines that have sprung up around Tucson since the tragic happenings of last week. The memorial shrine which my grandchildren visited is on the front lawn of the University of Arizona Medical Center, where congresswomen Gabrielle Giffords continues to recover.

While there, both of my grandchildren experienced the many expressions of a mourning community. They viewed and reflected upon the many tributes community members young and old had left, including the bearing of flowers, personal notes, balloons, stuffed animals and many votive candles. They also experienced people praying, crying, and finding comfort in each other. Prior to our departure, both of my grandchildren took time to write their own personal message, which can be seen in one of my photos. The rest of the photos, I believe need no further narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment