Saturday, December 24, 2011

"Happy Holidays to All!"








Merry Christmas everyone! Well tomorrow will be Christmas Day, and I am already preparing tomorrow's Christmas dinner. Being Norwegian, I hardly know how to boil water, yet I try to be persistent and always try "to do my best", especially when my grandaughter, Desert Princess, tells me, "Never give Up Grandpa" and then adds to the challenge by pointing two of her fingers at her eyes saying, " I'm Watching You!"

This year a Prime Rib Dinner was the choice along with sauteed beans sprinkled with craisons, slivered walnuts, and slices of mandarin oranges. Then for a salad, an Italian caprese was selected, my daughter's favorite, consisting of sliced cherry tomatoes, topped with sliced kalamata olives, mozzarella cheese, and garnished with pine nuts and basil with a sprinkle of olive oil and garlic herb seasoning. Fresh cranberries have also been prepared with grated orange zest,and some orange juice, always one of my favorites.

The question now is how to have a good prime rib roast that is tasty, tender and favorable????? To be successful, my choice was a recipe taken from Foodrecipes.com which I will be following tomorrow morning. On the web site, there is a video showing every step.

The secret of this recipe is math. After keeping your roast out for six hours and bringing to room temperature plus adding a rub, it’s off to the big blast oven(500 degrees) to sear the surface of the meat, followed by very slow cooking with the oven off. The amount of time is determined by easy math, which is weight x 5 minutes. So my roast, which is 7.52 lbs, needs to be in the oven for 38 minutes at a temperature of 500 degrees. At that point, the oven is turned off, and is not opened, and the roast is timed for another 120 minutes. Then the roast is ready for serving. Please stay tuned for results!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas. It sounds like your feast is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete