Saturday, July 10, 2010

"Purerto Penasco or "Rocky Point" was almost part of the Gadsden Purchase"

The Gadsden Purchase (known as Venta de La Mesilla, or "Sale of La Mesilla", in Mexico[2]) is a 29,670-square-mile (76,800 km2) region of present-day southern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico that was purchased by the United States in a treaty signed by President Franklin Pierce on June 24, 1853, and ratified by the U.S. Senate on April 25, 1854. The purchase was the last major territorial acquisition in the contiguous United States.

It is named for James Gadsden, the American ambassador to Mexico at the time. The purchase included lands south of the Gila River and west of the Rio Grande. The Gadsden Purchase was for the purpose of the US's construction of a transcontinental railroad along a deep southern route. It was also related to reconciliation of outstanding border issues following the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, which ended the Mexican-American War of 1846–48.

What many people do not realize is that the Gadsden Purchase was negotiated a total of five times and when it originally went to our Congress, it included 45,535 square miles rather than the above stated 29,670. At the last minute changes were made to provide a land bridge from mainland Mexico to the Baja. What this meant was that the United States missed the opportunity to have a seaport on the very tip of the Gulf of California and to have access to the Gulf of Cortez and that is where the town of Puerto Penasco is located today.

Today, Puerto Penasco or "Rocky Point" as we call it here in Arizona is only a 3 hour drive from Tucson, but lies only 60 miles from the US/Mexico International Border. Today many tourists go Puerto Penasco for the sun,sand,sea,fishing and relaxation.

Now without the signing of the Gadsden purchase, much of Southern New Mexico and Arizona would today be a part of Mexico. In fact, I would be writing this blog from Mexico rather than the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment