Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Ask your doctor about Shingles"




Today, I received my Shingles vaccination at my local pharmacy. In taking this step, I consulted with my doctor and read all the literature. Here is what I know about Shingles. Perhaps you'll find this information of benefit if you are currently over 60 or near that age.

What is Shingles?

Shingles is a very painful condition that is caused by the same virus that caused chickenpox back when we were little guys. Shingles appears as a rash that quickly turns into blisters filled with fluid. This rash is typically painful, very sensitive to touch, and can last a few days to a few weeks. However, the pain associated with this rash can continue for weeks to years after the rash disappears. In some severe cases, even eyesight can be affected, if the blisters and rashes occur in that area.

According to my doctor, almost everyone over the age of 60 should receive this vaccine. The vaccine decreases the risk of the shingles and severity of the symptoms if you do get the shingles.

No comments:

Post a Comment